Sassicaia in its present blend consists of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Cabernet Franc. The average age of the vines is about 30 years. Approximately 15,000 cases are produced annually.
The 5,000 acre Tenuta San Guido estate faces the Mediterranean Sea on Tuscany’s southwestern coast. Approximately 80% of the vineyards, on 100 acres, are located at the foot of the hills that surround the estate, some five miles from the coast, at an altitude ranging from 250 to 300 feet. The remaining 20%, on 30 acres, are two miles further inland, on hills between 500 and 600 feet above sea level. Currently, 100% of these 130 vineyard-covered acres are in production.
The Sassicaia estate at Bolgheri came from Mario Incisa della Rocchetta's wife's family who had owned land there since 1800 - the name Sassicaia means,place of many stones, and the gravelly soil has been compared to those found in the Médoc. He planted Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot and engaged the services of Piero Antinori`s winemaker, Giacomo Tachis.
Sassicaia Tenuta san Guido 2012
85 % Cabernet Sauvignon 15 % Cabernet Franc
The vineyards are planted on plots of land with different and composite
characteristics, as well as with a strong presence of limestone. These
areas are also rich in rocks and rather rich in clay and are located at an altitude
between 100 and 300 meters above sea level, facing West
South/West. The climate trend in 2011 was truly except
ional for Bolgheri. It can be
of the best vintages since t
ar 2000. The w
inter was cold, with temperatures
below the seasonal average, especially in November and January. The Spring started
early with mild temperatures and an excellent water supply due to gradual windless
rainfalls. This led to a great vegetative
growth of vines. Sassicaia has an intense, concentrated and deep ruby color. The elegant aroma is complex with notes of red fruits. The flavor is powerful concentrated and has great depth with sweet and balanced tannins. In the mouth it is rich and dense, yet harmonious and elegant. The wine has a decisively long finish with significant organoleptic depth and a polyphenolic structure which ensures this wine’s extraordinary longevity. "Ripe black cherry and blackberry flavors pick up rosemary, mineral and spice accents in this red, which is concentrated and intense, fresh and focused. Racy midpalate, this leans toward black currant and cedar notes on the solid finish. Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc."
- Rated 99, Wine Enthusiast
Sale price: $149.99
It, Now! |
You must be 21 or over to place or receive an order. Currently shipping to AK, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, MN, MO, NE, NH, NM, NC, NY, OH, OR, SC, SD, VA, WA, WI, WY. Availability and Price Subject to change