The château was founded in 1810 by Urbain Pierre Pedesclaux,
a wine broker in Bordeaux, who operated it with his wife until 1891, when the estate was sold to the Count de Gastebois. The vineyard is the result of collecting into one estate different parcels from other estates, all classified. At the beginning of the century, Mr. de Gâtebois acquired château Pedesclaux which his family kept until 1950. Then Mr. Lucien Jugla, having rented it since 1932, became the owner. Since he died in 1965, his children have continued his work. The vineyard of château Pedesclaux, a cru classé du Médoc in 1855, lies on the gravel plateau overlooking the town of Pauillac. This growth, planted to traditional Médoc grapes: Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet franc and Merlot, produces a wine of exceptional class, with a delicate bouquet, a pleasant robe, at once full-bodied and soft. The winemaking, carried out by the owners themselves, incorporating ancestral traditions and new techniques, enables the wine to develop in sound oak barrels, lying in the ageing cellars. Average production is some 100 tonneaux. For several decades, foreign wine-lovers have become regular customers for whom nearly three-quarters of the vintage is reserved each year. By that means, the name of château Pedesclaux has become known throughout the world. This growth is managed by the Jugla family.
The proprietor, Monsieur Jugla, is president of the Pauillac producers.
The Chateau is well located in front of Mouton Rothschild and Pontet Canet.
The vineyard covers an area of 28 hectares and produces about 8,000 cases of wine every year. Wines from Pedesclaux are composed of roughly 45% Cabernet Sauvignon, 50% Merlot, and 5% Cabernet franc. A delightful, rich wine, wtih plenty of supple structure. Good freshness, with balance and length.